Monday, July 4, 2011

Cel-a-brate Good Times, Come On

This has been a week of celebrations, both in the U.S., as well as Canada. Today is the Fourth of July, a time for Americans to remember and honor the freedoms so many worked hard for us to have. Because we're traveling in the Canadian Maritime region, the 4th is being recognized to some degree, but mostly as a bookend to a long weekend.

This past Friday was Canada Day, or as it use to be called, Confederation Day - when several regions decided to become joined with others. We experienced lots of patriotism on that side of the border, very much like one finds in the U.S. - parades, flags, cookouts and fireworks.

The biggest celebration for me actually occurred over a week ago. I reached a mile stone birthday - my 50th. Like so many others, to me it's only a number, and an incorrect one at that. I honestly feel that I look and act much younger (for some reason I think I'm in my 30's).

To celebrate that momentous event I've opted to do my celebration with others, but without presents. My "party" was a reverse surprise party. I was one of the key organizers of a pot luck dinner at the campground and we didn't tell anyone it was a party until they arrived. We thanked them for coming and that the surprise was they didn't know it was a birthday party. The potluck was a blast.

Later this month I'll finish my birthmonth celebration with the opportunity to give to others by participating in a Mission Trip with the church, doing Housing Repair Ministry for folks in the Cherryfield, Maine area. We're still waiting to hear what work our group will be doing. I'm excited to be part of this wonderful project and wish I had done something like this sooner.

1 comment:

  1. Happy 50th, Jodie! Keep on sharing your stories! I love to read them!! :) --Stephanie

    ReplyDelete