Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Home

A former coworker recently wrote a blog post about where she calls home. She has relocated several times in the past years with major moves of her belongings into new communities. With these moves and knowing she still has more major relocations to make because of her spouse’s career, her blog touched on where home was. At her recent wedding, this acquaintance wrote that her officiant talked about home as being more with someone than a physical location.

Those words resonate strongly with me.  

Six years ago my husband and I decided to give up our “stick and brick” home (a term used by RVers to indicate their permanent physical abode) and chose to live full-time in our fifth wheel camper and travel around the United States.

When the question of “Where’s home?” is asked, we answer with a multitude of different answers, but always end up with “Home is where we park it.” in reference to a phrase used in the camping industry. 

Legally home is in the State of South Dakota where we chose to “relocate” to after selling our home. But we also say we’re from New England because of our family routes. Sometimes we reference Florida for our home as we’re now spending our sixth winter in the same resort where we have a sense of community.

However, for me, none of these locations feel like home.

We’ve talked about where we’d consider settling down if we were to get off the road or if something happened to one of us. When we started our travels, we naively thought we’d find an area that really spoke to us and say this is it. Now that we’ve been to just about every state, I can say that I wouldn’t be able to make up my mind about any one location. There are regions that I would want to spend several months visiting, but to stay consistently for years, I don’t think so. 

No matter where we've visited, because I've been there with my best friend, my love and supportive partner in life, home could be anywhere we have set up our camper for the time frame.

So for me, where is home? As my acquaintance indirectly shared in her blog; Home is where the heart is.

No comments:

Post a Comment