Monday, January 28, 2013

A Bit Crafty


In Nov 2011 my mom asked me to knit a prayer shawl/wrap for Dad, longer and wider than most of his others.  She wanted something that would cover his upper body while he sat in his wheelchair. I hadn’t done any knitting since I broke my wrist in  2010.  I wasn’t sure how it would go as this was the 2nd time I had broken the same wrist and anticipated lots of problems from movement and soreness.   

I was able to finish the knitting in a few weeks time and Dad enjoyed his knit wrap for several months before he died.  Mom gave me the wrap after Dad died and we use it on a chair in the RV.  My concerns for wrist problems were not as I had anticipated.

After I finished Dad's wrap, I was pondering other projects and found out the campground we stayed at collected hand made blankets, giving them to a local camp for special needs children.  The campground had a bucket of yarn and I decided to crochet a granny square blanket for the camp.

Every time I wanted to learn a new stich, I'd go on the Internet and YouTube to see how it was done. Then I'd work at it, many times pulling out stiches to fix mistakes.  When we moved from the house into the RV, I chose to keep my knitting supplies hoping that I'd find a desire to make things again.  I had lots of yarn in my own collection and made myself a large granny square blanket.  When we learned Chuck's daughter Melissa was expecting, I crafted 2 blankets for her baby, 1 knit and 1 crochet.

There are several balls of yarn and different needles in various locations around the RV with projects in various states.  I’m enjoying making all types of project, although sometimes Chuck says my favorite part of a project is when I “frog” or “ribbet” and start all over.   When I first started knitting (about 10 years ago) my specialty was winter scarfs, graduating to hats.  This past year has mostly been blankets and crochet vs knit.  

On our trip North last Spring, I retrieved my sewing machine from storage and have managed to find room to use it from time to time.  Sewing projects are easiest when we're at a campground for a long period of time; I need to move several things around to get to the machine out of it's storage spot. Knit and crochet are easily transported from camper to car when we're moving about (unless it's my turn to drive).

Granny square afghan



Crochet blanket for Paysen
Knit blanket for Paysen



Collection of afghans, gift bags, wash cloths, placemats,
and puppy beds

No comments:

Post a Comment