Monday, April 15, 2013

The things we do for fun

We arrived at our campground and while we were checking in, the owner went over some of the things to do in the area. Because this campground was at a winery, naturally they offered wine tasting. She also mentioned that they were holding an art class that evening, all supplies provided and no experience or talent required.


Everyone we had met in the office had been so friendly and enthusiatic, I decidded I would indeed try my hand at painting.  Because of a very rainy day, some folks had cancelled leaving just 2 of us in attendance.  Our instructor was the owner of the vineyard, mother-in-law of the campground owner. My fellow attendee was also staying in the campground and the 3 of us hit it off well.



Our still life was to be based on another painting of fruit and a glass of wine.  I set to work on the task at hand and started doing the painting as instructed, although at times it seemed confusing to me. We were directed to start with the piece of fruit in the foreground and work our way back. This made filling in the background and layering more difficult for me, but I perservered through the session.


As we ladies were having so much fun, and after 2 hours of painting, knew we needed to take a break for the night, we decided to rejoin at 10 the next morning to continue our works of art.  Upon my return to the RV, I looked up differnt still life images on the computer.  During our time painting, I was bothered with the centralness of my work, all the fruit and wine glass were in the middle and although there was some variety of height, the edges were empty.  While viewing the internet images I realized that I could add a wine bottle to my painting which would help give more height and direction to my scene.

The next morning, as I looked at my painting from the night before, I changed my mind as to the locaiton of the bottle I was going to add.  Instead of having it sitting on the table, I chose to have it suspended, with wine pouring out of the neck of the bottle and in to the glass.  Naturally I also added a cork on the table to my image.


I asked if there was any rhyme or reason to the placement of my name or initials as I felt that should be my final activity on the canvas. Should it be to the bottom right or left.  Looking at my canvas I realized that my signature and date could only go in one place; on the cork from the wine bottle.



Now to decide how to frame it and where to hang it.

No comments:

Post a Comment